Panel Mount Signal Conditioner with Digital Display
The IPM500 Panel Mount Signal Conditioner with Digital Display is FUTEK’s general solution for a complete sensor and instrumentation system. The IPM500 load cell display unit features 60 conversions per second, is scalable to 5 digits ±99,999 resolution, a programmable 10 VDC or 4-20mA and it has a Power supply 85 to 264 VAC .
IPM500 Family Product Highlights
* Available on certain models
The function of a load cell display is to capture the signal from the load cell or torque sensor and convert it into a higher level of an electrical signal, and indicate it in a digital display. In order to do so, the mV/V low amplitude output of the load cell goes thru several different signal conditioning steps:
1) Excitation Voltage: Full-bridge load cells or torque sensors require an excitation voltage to feed the strain gage Wheatstone bridge and generate their output signal as a ratio of the input excitation voltage.
2) Filtering: Analog sensor signals are susceptible to electrical noise and/or residual ripple voltage, which can distort or skew measurements. Noise needs to be filtered out before you can capture an accurate signal.
3) Amplification: A full-bridge strain gage sensor can output a signal in the nanovolt through millivolt range. When your DAQ or PLC is limited to measuring volts, you will need an strain gage amplifier to convert millivolts to a larger signal.
4) Signal conversion: The majority full-bridge load cells and force measurement sensors or transducers generate an analog output in the millivolt range (mV/V). Thus, signal processing is traditionally analog. So, if you req PLC or DAQ system requires an amplified analog (i.e.: 4-20 mA, 0-10 VDC) or a digital output (USB, SPI), the load cell or torque sensor needs a strain gage signal conditioner to convert the mV/V signal to the required signal output.